|· Why do the visuals disappear every time I put it in the car? |
|· I just got my new player and I have many gigs of MP3s to install. Is there anything I need to keep in mind? |
|· Why can't I add more than one song at a time? |
|· What does the flashing LED on the faceplate mean? |
|· Do I have to put the player into standby mode before I pull the plug? |
|· Can I copy MP3 files back onto my PC from the player? |
|· Is there anything I should keep in mind when I grab files from the player? |
|· Can I back up the player's playlists and music files? |
|· What is the best way to organize and listen to my music? |
|· How can I keep my PC and my car player in perfect synch? |
|· How do I upgrade the firmware on the player, and will it erase my music files? |
|· Is it bad for the player if it gets too hot or too cold? |
|· Do I have to use the remote, or can I do everything from the front panel? |
|· What do all the buttons do? |
|· What's this I hear about a 'Stun/Kill' button on the remote control? |
|· What is a parametric EQ, and what does the 'Q' parameter do? |
|· Where can I download a list of EQ presets? |
|· How do I know what the hard disk is doing? |
|· Does disk space get wasted if I make a second copy of a song in a different playlist? |
|· What about editing/renaming multiple copies of the same song? |
|· How can I be sure that I've deleted all copies of a given song? |
|· How do I make albums play in the correct order? |
|· How do the Tweak Order functions work? |
|· How does the 'Ignore as Child' option work? |
|· What in the world is a 'Wendy Filter'? |
|· How do the Bookmarks work? |
|· Can I delete songs from the player's front panel? |
|· How can I tell which tracks I have marked with the 'Mark' key? |
|· What search terms can I use in the Advanced Search box in Emplode? |
|· What is this 'Soup View' I hear other people talking about? |
|· What do the little letters mean on the Info:Track screen? |
|· When I move the player between the car and the house, what does it do differently? |
· Are there any 'Easter Eggs' in the player?
(Entry last updated on April 5th, 2005)
An "Easter Egg" is a trick or surprise, hidden by the developers, in a computer program, a web site, or a piece of hardware. Perhaps one of the earliest and most famous easter eggs is Warren Robinett's signature in the Atari 2600 game "Adventure".
Easter eggs are a long and grand tradition among developers of high-tech software and hardware, and the empeg developers continue this tradition faithfully. The current known easter eggs in the car player are:
Mark Lord's Hijack Kernel also has a few easter eggs:
- Various printed messages on different revisions of the player's main PC board. Some of these messages self-refer to other messages on earlier revisions of the board. At this time, a comprehensive list of these messages is not available.
- Some of the printed messages are beneath soldered-down chips on the board, so you can't see them unless you desolder the chips. I do not recommend trying this, as the boards aren't made any more and cannot be replaced. You won't get any prizes for finding these messages (other than a player that doesn't work any more). An example of one of the messages is: printed beneath the flash memory chip are the words "Where Gordon Lives". Some photos of the messages can be found here.
- In the player software, if you reach the end of a playlist (with repeat turned off) or if you start the player with an empty playlist, the "Info Tex" visuals will display a list of developer credits.
- When you lose the Breakout game, it displays the Hijack version number. This is how you can check the version after boot-up. (Okay, not really an easter egg.)
- It displays an animation when you win the Breakout game. In version 99 of Hijack, there was also a Wayne Gretzky reference displayed on the screen (Mark's Canadian, you see).
- Various birthdays and empeg owner meets are commemorated with a popup message on the player screen at bootup, if the player's system clock matches the date.
|· What do the various symbols mean on the 'Aux Info' screen? |
|· Can I reset the number of plays and other statistics? |
|· Why does it play clusters of artists or albums? |
|· How do I cancel out of a synch? |
|· How do I skip to the next album or the next playlist? |
|· What is a FID? |
|· What happens during a synch, and what do the stage numbers mean? |
|· Can I use a USB-to-serial converter dongle with the player? |
|· What are some other good tricks for using the player? |